Sinéad O’Connor: police issue statement after singer's death
Police have issued a statement after her family confirmed her death on Wednesday
Police have released a statement after the family of Sinéad O’Connor confirmed her death yesterday.
O’Connor was found ‘unresponsive’ at a ‘residential address’ in the Lambeth area of London police said, as tributes have poured in to honour the legendary Irish singer.
The statement reads: “Police were called at 11:18 hrs on Wednesday, July 26th to reports of an unresponsive woman at a residential address in the SE24 area.
“Officers attended. A 56-year-old woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
“Next of kin have been notified. The death is not being treated as suspicious. A file will be prepared for the Coroner.”
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭#lostmy17yrOldSonToSuicidein2022. Been living as undead night creature since. . He was the love of my life, the lamp of my soul. We were one soul in two halves. He was the only person who ever loved me unconditionally. I am lost in the bardo without him pic.twitter.com/aC8BOmLQ9N
O’Connor’s family issued a statement yesterday, Wednesday July 26th, confirming her death.
“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time,” her family said.
The acclaimed singer released 10 studio albums over the course of her career. Her cover of Prince’s ‘Nothing Compares 2U’, became a worldwide hit in 1990 and is considered one of the greatest tracks of all time.
In 1992 on Saturday Night Live O’Connor sang an a cappella rendition of Bob Marley’s ‘War’ — bringing attention to child abuse, in particular within the Catholic Church.
The protest singer then tore up a picture of Pope John Paul II during the performance. Nine years later, Pope John Paul II acknowledged child abuse within the Church.
O’Connor leaves behind her three children; Jake, Roisin and Yeshua, with her son Shane having tragically died last year at the age of 17.
The singer recently tweeted a couple of posts referencing her son, who died by suicide in January 2022.
In one post she wrote: “Been living as undead night creature since. He was the love of my life, the lamp of my soul. We were one soul in two halves. He was the only person who ever loved me unconditionally. I am lost in the bardo without him.”
The tweet was in response to a post which asked people to ‘tell me how your life is going in emojis’. O’Connor replied with 10 crying emojis and a picture of her son holding her in a loving embrace followed by the hashtag #lostmy17yrOldSonToSuicidein2022.
She also shared a link to the ‘Great Tibetan Compassion Mantra’ dedicating the post to ‘all mothers of suicided children’.
The star vowed never to sing again after the tragic death of her beloved teenage son as she told fans in a tweet: “Just to say, suggestions there’ll be any performances this year or next year or ever again are erroneous. There will never be anything to sing about again.”
The cause of O’Connor’s death has not yet been confirmed, but is not being treated as suspicious.
Manchester Victoria named one of the best train stations in the UK
Drugs boss using handle ‘monstermunchman’ jailed after encrypted network busted
Woman tragically dies on M56 near Manchester Airport as officers scrambled
Piccadilly Gardens almost had an Eiffel Tower among other redevelopment ideas
Record crowds of families head to Gruffalo exhibition at Lowry
Schoolboy gets new life-changing bionic arm funded by plumber
Manchester City’s huge £300m Etihad Stadium expansion approved
Jonas Brothers first act announced to perform at huge new Co-op Live
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
A woman has tragically died on the motorway near Manchester Airport following ‘concerns for her welfare’.Police were called to the scene on the M56, with officers scrambled to the motorway – near the Thorley Lane bridge at junction five- at around 2.40am on Monday, July 31st. Sadly the woman died, with police saying her death is not being treated as suspicious.GMP are now attempting to work out the woman’s identity so they can contact her loved ones, with detectives describing her as white, around 5ft 3in tall, with shoulder-length mousy brown hair that’s straight and greying in some places.
#INCIDENT | Officers responding to an incident on the M56, near Junction 5 slip road to Manchester Airport Terminal 2, urge drivers to find alternative routeThere is a scene on & road closures are in place for this section of the motorway Read more ➡️ https://t.co/suLMZY4244 pic.twitter.com/DqY38Z4VHY
Police believe she is aged somewhere between her 40s and 60s, she was wearing pink nail varnish and dark clothing, and had pink and brown tortoise-shell glasses as well as a gold-coloured bracelet with a gold-coloured beaded clasp.
Revealing further details, GMP say she had a gold-coloured ring with a knot design on her right ring finger, wore a gold-coloured ring on her left ring finger – this had a set of clear stones on – and she also had a gold-coloured chain around her neck.
On top of that, they also found a patterned, brown-coloured headband and a watch with a black leather strap at the scene.
Ilovetheeu / Wikimedia
Police are urging anyone with information about the woman or dash cam footage from the M56 at her time of death to get in touch.Detective Inspector Paul Costello of GMP’s Trafford district said: “We are utilising all enquiries to ensure we find the woman’s next-of-kin, and we hope that a member of the public may be able to recognise her from the description given.
“I would ask anyone who may have information, no matter how little they think it is, to please get in touch with us.”
If you have any information you are asked to contact police on 101 or 0161 856 9677, quoting log number 280 of 31/7/23. You can also report information at www.gmp.police.uk.
Samaritans: (116 123) samaritans.org operates a 24-hour service available every day of the year. If you prefer to write down how you’re feeling, or if you’re worried about being overheard on the phone, you can email Samaritans at [email protected] , write to Freepost RSRB-KKBY-CYJK, PO Box 9090, STIRLING, FK8 2SA and visit www.samaritans.org/branches to find your nearest branch.
CALM: (0800 58 58 58) thecalmzone.net has a helpline for men who are down or have hit a wall for any reason, who need to talk or find information and support. They’re open 5pm to midnight, 365 days a year.
He welled up as he was gifted a Black Panther-style ‘Hero Arm’
A young schoolboy given a new life-changing £13,000 bionic arm shook hands with the plumber who funded it.
Seven-year-old Alex Sparks was born without a right forearm and had been on an NHS prosthetic waiting list for more than three years.
After spending birthdays ‘wishing’ for it to grow back, his parents, Dionne and Robin, decided to fundraise for a motorised prosthetic arm for him.
When James Anderson, a 52-year-old plumber from Burnley, founder of Depher Plumbing Services, heard about the fundraiser, he fulfilled the target by making a single payment.
James met Alex in his hometown of Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire where the youngster got to try out his new arm by doing a ‘high five’, a ‘tickle’ and a ‘squeeze’.
Watching in amazement as the motors in Alex’s arm whirred, James said: “Wow! That’s absolutely amazing mate! Honest to God.”
Alex had never enjoyed wearing prosthetics until he tried the Black Panther themed ‘Hero Arm’ and his family say his face ‘lit-up’ as he was able to make it move.
The device, made by Open Bionics in Bristol — a company that 3D prints prosthetic limbs — uses sensors to register muscle movements in the upper arm and turn those into hand motions.
Alex told ITV News about ‘loads of things’ he now wants to do with his new bionic arm, saying: “I want to brush my teeth, reel-in a rod when I fish and play with two hands.
“Play catch and learn how to draw with this [bionic] hand because I can draw with [the other] hand.”
James’ Burnley-based social enterprise firm Depher, has helped many elderly and vulnerable people in need.
Originally setup to give free plumbing work to elderly and disabled individuals, it now provides wider support and food parcels.
The plumber explained he chose to pay for Alex’s arm as he could see the schoolboy’s ‘strength in his eyes’.
He said: “When I saw that he needed this so he could go fishing with his Dad, go bike-riding and play football – just do the normal things that a child would do with his mates outside – I immediately fell in love with it.
“You could see the strength inside of him, You could see the strength in his eyes. It was a no brainer. I transferred the money to the bank and said, ‘there you go, it’s done’.”
In a mobile phone video of the touching moment, James shows Alex the receipt and asks: “Do you know what that means?” Alex replied: “No.”
James then says: “That means I’ve just paid for your new arm. So, hopefully, sooner rather than later you’re going to go fishing with your Dad.”
To which Alex cheers and fills up with tears of joy.
Dionne and Robin are now hoping Alex’s new arm will bring him a brighter, happier future and allow him to do all the things he would like to do in life.
His dad Robin said: “We’re looking forward to him becoming an independent and outgoing seven year old.
“One that he doesn’t always have to keep looking back towards where his mum and dad are for help. Where he could just go forward and enjoy his life.”
The family are extremely grateful and can’t thank James enough as Dionne described James as an ‘incredible man’, adding: “He’s just helping so many people, whether it’s his food banks or his plumbing.
“He’s just one man helping loads of people. The world definitely needs more James Andersons. It really does.”
Alex’s new bionic limb is a little longer than his arm allowing him room to grow until he reaches his mid-teens, where he will need a replacement arm to match his size.
The plans were approved by a committee yesterday
A planning committee has approved the huge £300 million expansion plans for the Etihad Stadium — which will include a fan zone for up to 3,000 people.
The new expansion of the north stand will increase the stadium’s capacity to almost 62,000 seats with an added new fan zone and event space, which have been unanimously approved for construction.
The plans also include building a 400-bed hotel, TV studio and roof walk attraction.
Several members of Manchester City Council’s committee enthusiastically welcomed the project yesterday, (Thursday July 27th).
Project agent John Cooper, who attended the meeting, promised the expansion would deliver a ‘world class sports entertainment and leisure district’, bringing a wide range of economic benefits for the city.
Mr Cooper added that he estimated the project would inject an added value of £70 million into Greater Manchester’s economy each year, leading to around 1795 full-time jobs and a total of over 3,000 jobs including part-time as well as casual work hours. Three councillors spoke in favour of the newly approved plans.
Powered byPolice have released a statement after the family of Sinéad O’Connor confirmed her death yesterday.A woman has tragically died on the motorway near Manchester Airport following ‘concerns for her welfare’.A young schoolboy given a new life-changing £13,000 bionic arm shook hands with the plumber who funded it.A planning committee has approved the huge £300 million expansion plans for the Etihad Stadium — which will include a fan zone for up to 3,000 people.